Date: March 03, 2014
Author:

Grant Report – Anchor ban won’t affect Scott: Senior

Veteran Australian Peter Senior – a long-time user of the broomstick putter – says US Masters champion Adam Scott’s ability will not be affected by the ban on anchoring due to come into force at the start of 2016.

Senior, a former Australian Open and Australian Masters winner, says that Scott does not rely on the belly-supported putting stroke and believes he will go on to win more major titles.

Since he swapped the conventional putter for the long-handled alternative Scott has been a consistent threat in majors, winning at Augusta last year and amassing seven top-10 finishes from 12 grand slam tournaments in the past three years.

Previously, with the short stick, the Queenslander notched just four top 10 placings in 39 majors.

However, according to Senior, it is self-belief rather than mechanics, which will keep Scott at the top.

"The only thing that Adam was after was a little bit of confidence," Senior said. "He knows he can win majors and I think that’s the biggest thing for him.

"There’s no secret to putting. He started it (anchored putting) off and got a little bit of confidence and now he’s really confident.

"I think if he goes back to the short one, he’ll have no problem."

In fact, both Senior and dual British Open champion Greg Norman believe Scott will go on to win more majors than any other Australian – a record currently held by Peter Thomson who has five British Open crowns.

"He’ll do very well in the next few years," Senior said. "It’d be nice to see another Australian do what Peter Thomson’s done, win at least five."

Golf’s governing bodies announced a ban on anchored putting last May after players using the controversial putters had won four of the past six previous major championships.

Scott is one of a group of players who have sought legal advice on the move, although he stresses he has no plans to launch any action challenging the planned ban.

"My intention is just to get all the information given to me possible from the PGA Tour, and for me, like anyone else in a business, to have some professional guidance on this issue," Scott said. "That’s all it is.

"I don’t think I have the ability to get that or ask the right questions.

"I’m not a lawyer. That’s not my area of expertise, so I just want to get that information and make sure that my views are expressed to the tour and that’s that.

"There’s no intention of filing a suit or making problems. But this is a business and I’m treating it professionally, and I have professional counsel to do that. Just like I’m sure the Tour has professional counsel when they make decisions about things."

Meanwhile, Scott has finished in a tie for 12th in the Honda Classic in Florida. He was four under the card and four shots off the pace set by Americans Russell Henley and Ryan Palmer, Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy and Scot Russell Knox.

Henley won the tournament when he birdied the first play-off hole.

The event saw a long-awaited return to form by Victorian Stuart Appleby.

Appleby, who has struggled for two years, finished a promising joint eighth, five under the card and just three shots off the lead.

By: Robert Grant