Date: April 04, 2011

Rookie update: Griffin plays on with the flu in Indonesia

By Matthew Griffin Well, what an eventful start to the One Asia year! Last week we played the first event of the year in Jakarta and it had everything; some great golf, poor golf, long bus trips, the flu and even some controversy on the course. Firstly I d like to congratulate Andre Stoltz on a great win. He has been playing some fantastic golf with consistent top 10 s and played solid all week. You could say he was due for a win, which was great for me to see, and shows patience does pay off. We arrived in Jakarta on Sunday night and felt the heat and humidity straight away. I felt good out on the course on Monday and hoped the weather and course would suit my game. After three days of solid practice I was ready to go and when I got out there on Thursday afternoon I felt really good, which showed as I raced to 7 under after 10 and had the lead. Everything was going right until I ran into a bit of a roadblock on the 11th as a windstorm blew through and made a couple of holes play extremely tough coming home. Ended up 6 under in second place and 3 behind Matt Millar, who played a fantastic round of 63. I was happy with my day and had plenty of time to contemplate it on the 1 hour 50 minute bus ride home. These trips were a constant in Jakarta as the traffic is truly atrocious and made for a draining week. Getting back to the hotel at 7pm and then an alarm at 4 in the morning hurt but I was eager to get back out there again to try and regain the lead. I raced to 11 under and had plenty of chances to go further, but couldn&apost quite capitalize. Unfortunately I bogeyed my final 2 holes to drop back to 9 under and it would be a sign of things to come. I had most of the afternoon off and leading into day 3, I was 2 behind Matt Millar, who was at 11 under. Unfortunately as the night wore on I gradually came down with the flu and when I woke up in the morning I knew I was in big strife. I felt like I d been hit by a train and knew it would be a battle through the heat and humidity. Amazingly Matt Millar had exactly the same symptoms and by the end of the day we almost became a team trying to get each other through the day. Thanks to Gatorade, through 12 holes, I was hanging on at 1 under for the day and could have been better with a few putts dropping. It was then the real drama started as Rory Hie and his father/caddy had a disagreement with a rules official who caught them for slow play. Both Matt and I were then involved as some golf course etiquette wasn&apost quite right. Following that, the home crowd clapped both Matt and my poor shots and it was an unpleasant finish to the day. Unfortunately I struggled home and shot 3 over for the day and was out of contention. Matt Millar was impressive, shooting 1 under for the day, which was really respectable given the way he felt, and what had happened on the course. The final day came around and although I felt better was still a bit drained and not much went right on the course. Ended up again shooting 75 and tied 33rd position. Having gone into the weekend in second spot that was extremely disappointing but I guess you could say it wasn t totally in my control with what occurred. The positives to take out of the week are that the areas I have been working hard on with my coach and trainers are starting to really come together and some great results are hopefully just around the corner. Let&aposs hope it may result in a win similar to Andre last week. So it is now for three weeks of hard practice getting ready for Volvo China, which is played, across Easter. Bring it on! Matt Griffin is a former National Squad member and current member of Golf Australia&aposs Rookie Professional Program. This blog can also be found at his new website