World number five Adam Scott says he is desperate to end the year on a high and claim his first tournament victory of 2012 at the Australian Masters at Kingston Heath this week. Scott has endured a frustrating year thus far, none more so than when he let a final-round lead slip at the British Open in July to finish second behind South African Ernie Els. But the 32-year-old arrives in Melbourne in good form and in good spirits following another impressive effort where he tied for fifth at the Singapore Open last week and is keen to notch up his 19th win as a professional in the first big Australian tournament of the summer. “In some ways it has been a really good year as I have played a lot of really good golf,” Scott said. “I have been very consistent week in and week out, performing at a pretty high level, but I haven&apost managed to put four days together at the right time. “Therefore I haven&apost won an event this year, which bothers me a little bit. “But I am here and I have got a chance this week and hopefully I can get it done here. “I am pretty desperate for a win and I will be focused starting tomorrow morning.” Scott said his late fadeout at Royal Lytham and St Annes where he bogeyed his final four holes to lose to Els by a solitary shot has been the biggest positive of his year to date and that the experience should hold him in good stead when he faces a similar situation in the future. “The Open was definitely the highlight of my year for sure,” he said. “It was a great week for me to play so well and control the tournament until the end is what I have been working hard over the last couple of years to do. “Looking back I just take so many positives from what I did right that week. “The result wasn&apost what I was expecting with an hour or so to play, but there is always going to be a lesson to be learnt from that and I look forward to getting back in that position next year. “It was a great experience and it is more of a motivator than anything for me to get back and have another shot at it.” And Scott reiterated his stance on one of the biggest talking points in world golf, declaring the proposed move to ban the long putter that he currently uses is not the biggest issue clouding the game. “I think it&aposs commonly acknowledged that length is more of an issue in the game of golf than anything else,” Scott said. “Courses have been made obsolete, great courses, and the amount of time it takes to play, all these things. “We don&apost need that kind of stuff, so I think that&aposs something that the powers that be should be looking at rectifying, not the way guys are really putting. “I think in an ideal situation the governing bodies work with the manufacturers and come to some solution to some of the problems in the game. “There is no actual evidence that putting with an anchored putter is better or easier. “If it is, I would assume everyone would be doing it.” Scott will tee off at 7:40am on Thursday, alongside Northern Irishman Graeme McDowell and amateur Oliver Goss in what is the marquee group of the morning.
Author: Jonathan Healy, Omnisport