Fan favourite American John Daly has been forced to cancel his trip Down Under later this year after a recurring rib injury has seen him sidelined for the remainder of 2009. Daly, who recently announced his intention to play both the Australian Open and the Australian PGA Championship presented by Coca-Cola in December revealed today his disappointment at having to cancel his trip to Australia after the injury which he initially suffered at the 2007 Honda Classic flared up and required a surgical procedure last week. I am really disappointed that I can t come down to Australia as I was really looking forward to getting back there this year, said Daly. I want to thank the Australasian Tour for all the support they have given me which is why I was so keen to come back. I really regret any inconvenience this unavoidable situation may have caused for the Australian PGA and Australian Open organisers but I will look forward to returning back there next year. Alongside Tiger Woods and Vijay Singh, the big hitting Daly was one of the major international draw cards for the Australian Summer of Golf Calendar and he will be missed by organisers and fans alike. We are obviously very disappointed that John can t make it back here for our events this summer as he was certainly a hit with the fans when he was here last year, said Max Garske, CEO of the PGA of Australia. We are grateful for John s very sincere message and completely understand that his health is the number one priority. We wish him all the best with his recovery and hope he is on the mend soon and we ll certainly look forward to seeing him here again next year. Stephen Pitt, CEO of Golf Australia, organizers of the Australian Open echoed Max Garske s sentiments and wished Daly a speedy recovery in his efforts to get back onto the course. The Australian Open will be played at the New South Wales Golf Club from December 3-6.