Australian Richard Green was waiting for a call-up to the British Open on Monday after American Woody Austin told reporters he would not be travelling to Carnoustie next week. Austin and Hunter Mahan earned places last night via a mini-Order of Merit on the US Tour, but Austin said: “I don&apost know how to play that type of golf and I would probably go over there and shoot two high numbers and make a fool of myself.” The 43-year-old, who last month won his third Tour title at the Stanford St Jude Championship and has career earnings of almost 5million, has played in the Open just once, missing the halfway cut at Royal Lytham in 1996. Green would replace him as the highest non-exempt player on the world rankings, having said only last week that he found it “staggering” that his position – currently 39th – did not guarantee him a start at Carnoustie. The left-hander won the Austrian Open last month the week after the Open Championship cut-off point for the world&aposs top 50. He missed out on the US Open and added: “Having to sit at home on the couch watching it rather than playing in it was hard.” “But I wasn&apost mentally prepared for Oakmont. It&aposs different with Carnoustie. I&aposve prepared my schedule for it and even organised accommodation, although we stopped short of signing contracts for the house when I realised I wasn&apost in.” Now he should be able to finalise details once the Royal and Ancient Club, organisers of the Open, have confirmation of Austin&aposs withdrawal.