Chris Allen, Chairman Golf NSW, today announced a new look NSW Open Championship starting with the Twin Towns Amateur Open at the picturesque Coolangatta & Tweed Heads Golf Club this Sunday 2 August.
"The NSW Open has a very proud heritage with Kel Nagle, Peter Thomson, Greg Norman and Jack Newton all having won the tournament before going on to achieve world recognition for our state and country,” Mr Allen said.
"There is no question in my mind the NSW Open continues to be one of the premier events on our national golfing schedule and this year the Board of Golf NSW and the Australian PGA have introduced six additional regional qualifying events which will guarantee the winners a tee time at the NSW Open.
The six regional qualifying events will be played at:
- Twin Towns Amateur Open – Coolangatta & Tweed Heads (2 August)
- Northern Regional Championships – Gunnedah (29-30 August)
- Murray District Event – Thurgoona (6 September)
- City of Wagga Open – Wagga Country Club (3-4 October)
- Queanbeyan Cup – Queanbeyan (10 October)
- North Coast Open – Coffs Harbour (24-25 October)
"As the governing body for amateur golf in NSW, Golf NSW's mission is to foster golf for all amateur golfers in NSW with the new regional qualifying format now providing a direct pathway for our extra talented players, particularly those in rural and regional NSW, to test their skills against the best.
"Golf NSW is very excited about the new format and wishes every player teeing it up in coming months the best of luck,” Mr Allen added.
For further information visit: www.nswopen.com